BRICS Summit 2013. BRICS Summit 2013 Highlights. 5th BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) Summit 2013.
The BRICS summit 2013 was the fifth annual BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summit attended by the head of states or heads of government of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The 5th BRICS summit was held in Durban, South Africa in 2013.
Highlights of BRICS 2013 Summit:
- BRICS countries accepted to establish BRICS bank to fund infrastructure projects of these nations.
- BRICS countries accepted to set up a $100 billion fund to guard themselves against currency fluctuations.
- Called for reorientation of UNCTAD (UN Conference on Trade and Development).
- BRICS reiterated the need for Comprehensive Convention on Terrorism.
- eThekwini Declaration and Action Plan dwelt more on the issue of Syria where Russia is supporting president Bashar al-Assad.
- Unit 1 of Kudankulam reactor which is located in Tamil Nadu will be operationalized by next month, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh told Russian president Vladimir Putin at their meet on side lines of the 5th BRICS Summit.
- Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh met with Chinese president Xi Jingping. It’s the first high-level meet after the change of leadership in China.
New areas of cooperation to be explored
- BRICS Public Diplomacy Forum.
- BRICS Anti-Corruption Cooperation.
- BRICS State Owned Companies / State Owned Enterprises.
- National Agencies Responsible for Drug Control.
- BRICS virtual secretariat.
- BRICS Youth Policy Dialogue
- Sports and Mega Sporting Events.