The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), also known as the Rio Summit, Rio Conference, Earth Summit (Portuguese: Eco ’92) was a major United Nations conference held in Rio de Janeiro from 3 June to 14 June 1992.
- 172 governments participated in Earth Summit 2012, with 108 sending their heads of state or government.
- Venue for Earth Summit 2012 ? Earth Summit 2012 will take place in Rio de Janeiro.(On 20th – 22nd, June 2012)
- First earth summit was on -1992 took place in Rio de Janeiro
- Second earth summit was on -2002 took place in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Earth Summit also known as United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED)
The issues to be addressed at Earth Summit 2012:
- Systematic scrutiny of patterns of production — particularly the production of toxic components, such as lead in gasoline, or poisonous waste including radioactive chemicals.
- Alternative sources of energy to replace the use of fossil fuels which are linked to global climate change.
- New reliance on public transportation systems in order to reduce vehicle emissions, congestion in cities and the health problems caused by polluted air and smog.
- The growing scarcity of water.