Sports Update for SBI PO, SBI Clerk 2014 Exam. Current Affairs 2014 – Sports for SBI, RBI, IBPS Exam. Important Current Affairs from Sports for Upcoming SBI PO, SBI Clerk, IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk Exam 2014.
Important Current Affairs 2014 – Sports
Australian Open 2014:
1. Men’s Single: Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka claimed his first Grand Slam title by defeating Rafael Nadal
2. Women’s Single: Li Na (China) defeat Dominika Cibulkova. Li Na becomes first Chinese woman to clinch title.
3. Women’s Doubles: Errani and Roberta Vinci beat Russia’s Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina
Madrid Title 2014: Rafael Nadal defeat Kei Nishikori in the final to win the title.
Monte Carlo Masters Tennis 2014: Stanislas Wawrinka beat Roger Federer.
Miami (Sony)Open 2014:
- Men’s Single: Novak Djokovic dominates Rafael Nadal to win fourth Miami title.
- Women’s Single: Serena Williams beat Li Na to win seventh Miami Title
Dubai Open 2014:
- Men’s Singles – Roger Federer def. Tomáš Berdych
- Women’s Singles – Venus Williams def. Alizé Cornet
- Men’s Doubles – Rohan Bopanna & Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi def. Daniel Nestor & Nenad Zimonjić, 6–4, 6–3
French Open 2014:
- Men’s singles – Rafael Nadal vs. Novak Djokovic
- Women’s singles – Maria Sharapova defeated Simona Halep
- Men’s doubles: Julien Benneteau & Édouard Roger-Vasselin defeated Marcel Granollers & Marc López
- Women’s doubles : Hsieh Su-wei & Peng Shuai defeated Sara Errani & Roberta Vinci
- Mixed doubles: Anna-Lena Grönefeld & Jean-Julien Rojer defeated Julia Görges & Serbia Nenad Zimonjić
Note: Manila will host the first leg of the newly launched International Premier Tennis League
Sochi Winter Olympics 2014
The 2014 Winter Olympics were a major international multi-sport event held in Sochi, Russia from 7–23 February 2014. Total 88 country participated in this Winter Olympics with 2873 athletes. The motto of Sochi Winter Olympics was Hot. Cool. Yours. Fifteen‐year‐old Russian skater Yulia Lipnitskaya has become the youngest athlete in the world to win a Gold medal at the Winter Olympics.
Sochi Winter Medal Tally (Top 10)
|4||United States (USA)||9||7||12||28|
Important Sports News
1. Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) beat Kings XI Punjab in the Final of IPL 7 to lift the title.
2. Men’s T20 World Cup 2014: Sri Lanka defeat India to win the maiden title.
3. Women’s World T20 2014: Australia defeat England in the final to win the title for the third time in a row.
4. Asia Cup Title 2014: Sri Lanka defeat Pakistan to win the title.
5. ICC U‐19 World Cup 2014: South Africa beats Pakistan to lift the title.
6. Irani Trophy 2014: Karnataka won by defeating Rest of India.
7. India claim U‐19 Asia Cup title by defeating Pakistan in final
8. Vijay Hazare Trophy 2014: Karnataka won the title by defeating Railways
9. Grant Flower named as Pakistan batting coach.
10. Deodhar Trophy 2014: West Zone lifted the trophy after defeating North Zone in the final
11. Ranji Trophy 2014. Karnataka beat Maharashtra to lift the title. Karnataka have won the trophy for seventh time.
12. Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 trophy: Baroda beat Uttar Pradesh to win the trophy.
13. National Women’s Football champions 2014: Manipur defeated Orissa in the final.
14. 68th Santosh Trophy : Mizoram defeat Railways to win the title.
15. Pankaj Advani won CCI Biliards title. He defeated two‐time world runner‐up Dhruv Sitwala
16. World Snooker title 2014: Mark Selby of England won maiden title.
17. Virat Kohli is number 1 ODI batsman in latest ICC rankings
18. Saeed Ajmal top bowlers in ODI ranking. He is followed by Dale Steyn and Sunil Narin while Ravindra Jadeja is at fourth.
19. Waqar Younis appointed as new Pakistan coach.
20. Martin Kilzan won the Munich ATP tournament to claim second title of his career. In the final match, he defeated Fabio Fognini
21. Chitra Magimairaj Wins World Women’s Senior snooker title
22. The Indo‐Zimbabwean tennis pair of Sania Mirza and Cara Black has won the WTA Portugal Open women’s doubles title.
23. Kamal Chawla has settled for a bronze medal in the Asian Snooker Championship being held in the United Arab Emirates.
24. Punjab won Junior National Hockey Title 2014 by defeating Odisha in the final.
25. Novak Djokovic won Indian Wells final by defeating Roger Federer.
26. India’s Heena Sidhu clinched World’s No. 1 spot in 10 mts air pistol event.
27. India defeat Pakistan to lift Kabaddi World Cup 2013 title.
28. Zaheer khan became the fourth Indian bowler to claim 300 wickets in Test cricket.
29. Sunil Gavaskar appoints (HDFC chairman) Deepak Parekh as his special advisor for 7th edition of IPL
30. US sprint star Tyson Gay has received a one‐year doping ban from the US Anti‐Doping Association.
31. Triple jumper Renjith Maheswary, who has been stopped from receiving Arjuna Award under controversial circumstances on charges of dope violation last year, has again been recommended by the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) for the coveted honour this year.
32. Darren Sammy retires from test cricket but remains T20 captain.
33. Ronnie O’Sullivan named as Snooker’s Player of the Year.
34. Lasith Malinga, new captain of Sri Lanka T20 team
35. New Zealand’s Kiwi Kathy Cross became the first woman to be inducted in an ICC umpires’ panel
36. Dipika Pallikal ranked No 10 in Women’s Squash Association (WSA) rankings
37. Saina Nehwal won Syed Modi International India Grand Prix Gold badminton crown by defeating PV Sindhu in Lucknow.
38. BCCI recommends Ravichandran Ashwin ( Off‐spinner) for Arjuna Award.
39. Anirban Lahiri won Indonesian Masters golf title.
40. Grand Master Adhiban won silver medal at the Asian Continental Chess Championship
41. Delhi Waveriders beat Jaypee Punjab Warriors to lifts 2nd edition of Hockey India League cup.
42. Rafael Nadal remains top of the men’s ATP tennis rankings.
43. Serena Williams (USA) remains top of the WTA tennis rankings
44. Chennai to host World Bridge Championships next year .
45. Shaik Abdul Hameed of India won the 2014 Thailand Tour title of Asian Bowling Federation (ABF).
46. Chain Singh and Heena Sidhu claimed gold medals in the seventh Asian Air Gun Championship in Kuwait
47. Swimmer Supriya Mondal has qualified for the 2014 Youth Olympics by winning a gold medal in the 200m butterfly event at the Dubai International Aquatic Championships in Hamdan.
48. Manavjit Singh Sandhu, the Indian veteran trap shooter jumped to the third spot in the world rankings.
49. Pooja Ghatkar clinches gold in women’s air rifle in the seventh Asian air gun championship
50. Former Australia test batsman Marcus North retires.
51. Spain’s Real Madrid retained the title of the world’s richest soccer club
52. Netherlands beat New Zealand to win maiden Hero Hockey World League title
53. Jimmy Walker of the US won the Sony Open golf tournament held in Hawaii
54. Veteran Indian shuttler Arvind Bhat lifts German Open title
55. Aditya Joshi is world No.1 junior shuttler.
56. Serena Williams beat Victoria Azarenka to win Brisbane International Title.
57. ATP Open Tennis tournament held in Chennai.
58. Jacques Kallis overtakes Rahul Dravid to become 3rd highest Test run‐getter
59. Dubai tennis championship: Roger Federer defeat defeating Tomas Berdych .
60. Graeme Smith, the South African cricket team Captain announced retirement from international cricket.
61. South Africa’s legendary all‐rounder Jacques Kallis announced retirement from Test cricket.
62. Veteran Sri Lankan batsman Mahela Jayawardene has become the sixth‐highest run‐scorer in the history of Test cricket
63. Kumar Sangakkara, the cricketer of Sri Lankan national team became the second person in the history of Cricket to score a triple century and a century in the same test match, he joined Graham Gooch, the former skipper of England team.
64. Veteran Indian player Joshna Chinappa lifted her maiden WSA World Tour title with the Winnipeg Winter Club Open trophy after beating Egypt’s Heba El Torky .
65. Vernon Philander of South Africa topped Test bowler ranking of ICC
66. England’s spinner Graeme Swann announced retirement from International Cricket.
67. The International Cricket Council (ICC) has suspended West Indies offspinner Shane Shillingford from bowling in international matches because of illegal action.
68. Mahesh Mangaonkar became the first Indian squash player to win the IMET Open by defeating Greg Lobban, in the Slovakian capital of Bratislava.
70. Junior Hockey World Cup 2013: Germany beat France, register record sixth world title.
71. Test batsman Cheteshwar Pujara has bagged the ‘Emerging Cricketer of the Year’ 2013 trophy .
72. World and European champions Spain top the final FIFA world rankings of the year for the sixth time in a row.
73. Andy Murray crowned BBC ‘Sports Personality of the year’2013.
74. Ethiopian Runner Atsedu Tsegay won Delhi Half Marathon 2013.
75. Australia beat England to seal 5‐0 Ashes title
76. Hockey World League Final kicked off in New Delhi
77. 75th Senior National Table Tennis C’ship held in Patna
78. The first high altitude cricket stadium in South India, inaugurated at Krishnagiri in Wynad district of Kerala.
Last Update: June 8, 2014.