Summer Olympics 2012 at London Important Points. London 2012 Olympic Games Valuable Points for Bank Exams and for other competitive exams (Rail, SSC, PSC, UPSC). Current Affairs 2012 Questions from London 2012 Olympic Games. Summer Olympics 2012 Current Affairs questions for IBPS PO, Specialist Officer Exam, IBPS Clerk Exam, SBI Associate Clerk Exam and for any other competitive exams.
London 2012 Olympics Important Points:
- The Summer Olympics 2012 is officially the Games of the XXX Olympiad and also more generally known as London 2012.
- The 2012 Summer Olympics took place in London, United Kingdom from 27 July to 12 August 2012.
- Name of Mascots of London 2012 Olympic Games – Wenlock and Mandiville
- Motto of London 2012 Olympic Games – Inspire a Generation
- Nations participating in the London 2012 Olympic Games – 204
- Athletes participating in the London 2012 Olympic Games – 10,820
- The opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics was held on 27 July and called “Isles of Wonder” and it was directed by Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle.
- The London 2012 Olympics Officially opened by – Queen Elizabeth II
- During the London 2012 Olympic Games, Michael Phelps of America became the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time, winning his 22nd medal.
- The host nation -Great Britain achieved its highest tally of gold medals since 1908, finishing third in the medal table
- London was the first city to officially host the modern Olympic Games three times, having previously done so in 1908 and in 1948.
- Yi Siling of China won the first gold medal of London 2012
- The legendary Muhammad Ali returns to the Olympic stage once again in London 2012 Olympic Games.
- The first world records of the London 2012 Olympic Games have been set by a blind South Korean archer Im Dong Hyun.
India at the London 2012 Olympic Games:
- The Indian Olympic Association had sent a total of 83 athletes to compete in 13 sports making it the largest contingent India has ever sent to an Olympic Games.
- Brigadier PK Muralidharan Raja has been named as the acting Chef-de-Mission of the Indian contingent for the London Olympic Games because of indisposition of incumbent Ajitpal Singh. Raja, who was the Deputy Chef-de-Mission, was elevated after Singh could not come to London due to severe spondylitis.
- India has won 6 medals including 2 silver and 4 bronze which is by far the best performance by India in terms of number of medals won at any single Olympic games.
- Flag bearer for India in the Opening Ceremony of London 2012 Olympic Games – Sushil Kumar
Flag bearer for India in the Closing Ceremony of London 2012 Olympic Games – Mary Kom
- Gagan Narang won the country’s first medal at the Games, a bronze in the men’s 10 metre air rifle event.
- Vijay Kumar won a silver medal in men’s 25 m rapid fire pistol event.
- Silver Medal winner Vijay Kumar became the third man ever representing India to win an individual silver medal after Norman Pritchard and Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.
- Saina Nehwal, won a bronze medal in women’s singles in badminton.
- Saina Nehwal, has become the first Indian to win a medal in Badminton at the Olympics.
- Saina Nehwal, is also the second Indian woman to win an individual medal after Karnam Malleswari’s bronze medal in Weightlifting in 2000.
- Mary Kom won India its fourth medal at the games by winning a Bronze in the Women’s flyweight category in Boxing.
- Mary Kom become the third Indian woman to win a medal at the Olympics and first Indian Woman boxer to win Medal at the Olympic Games.
- Yogeshwar Dutt by winning a bronze in the 60 kg Freestyle Wrestling event.
- Sushil Kumar won the Silver medal in 66 kg Freestyle wrestling.
- Sushil Kumar is the first Indian to win an individual medal in back to back Olympics.